Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS is a common hormonal system disorder occurring in women of reproductive age. It is also called PCOD. It is actually the most common hormonal disorder in women between the ages of 18 and 44. An estimated 5-10% of women of this age group are affected by this problem.
Symptoms of Poly cystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Irregular menses – The menstrual cycle gets disturbed. There is the possibility of periods being delayed or no periods at all for months. There may be pain during menses and also periods are likely to be heavy and erratic.
- Excess of male hormones – The increase in androgen’s or male hormones lead to other physical signs like growth of facial hair and other parts of the body like arms, legs, chest, abdomen and fingers. At the same time there may be loss of hair from the scalp. The skin becomes a little rougher or thicker. Acne on the face, shoulders and back is also commonly seen.
- Cysts in the ovaries – On ultrasound examination, ovaries are often found to be having multiple cysts.
- Obesity- There is tendency towards central obesity, which means that one tends to gain weight around the abdomen.
- Fertility issues – At times PCOS also interferes with your ability to get pregnant and carry the pregnancy normally.
- Skin discolorations – At times there is discoloration of the skin
When it comes to alternative systems or complementary treatments for PCOS, Homeopathy offers the best alternative. This is because Homeopathy focuses on treating and curing the root cause of the problem. The Homeopathic philosophy of disease is not based on the external causes of diseases. Homeopathy believes that the human body has been perfectly enabled by nature to keep itself disease free. It is only when the immunity or its own internal vitality is deranged that the body becomes incapable of keeping itself disease free. Therefore Homeopathy tries to restore the balance of that vitality. Once the vitality regains its original balance, it is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid. That is why homeopathic medicines are given in very minute doses.